Hurricane Matthew Flood Relief - updated 10/20/16
Tuesday, October, 11, 2016 | 1:46 PM | by bwallace
Relief efforts are underway to help those affected by Hurricane Matthew. Listed below are some ways you can aid in this effort.
Donations to UMCOR are always needed. 100% of your contribution goes directly to the project. To make donations to Raleigh Area Methodist Churches, you can write a check payable to "Elkin FUMC" and earmark it "Hurricane Matthew." We will then send one check from the church to the Raleigh Area Conference Treasurer
Churches are also being asked to prepare Cleaning Buckets. Our Mission Response Center has sent 1200 cleaning buckets and 1000 health kits to the North Carolina Conference and need to replenish their supply of cleaning buckets. Health kits are not needed at this time.
Cleaning Bucket Materials
- 5-gallon bucket with resealable lid
- Buckets from fast-food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned;
- Do not use buckets that have stored chemicals such as paint or pool cleaner;
- Advertisements on the outside are acceptable.
- Liquid laundry detergent - One 50-oz. or two 25-oz. bottle(s) only.
- Liquid household cleaner - 1216 oz. liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water; no spray cleaners.
- Dish soap - 1628 oz. bottle any brand.
- 1 can air freshener - Aerosol or pump.
- 1 insect repellant spray - 614 oz. aerosol or spray pump with protective cover.
- 1 scrub brush - Plastic or wooden handle.
- 18 cleaning wipes - Handi Wipes or reusable wipes; no terry cleaning towels; remove from packaging.
- 7 sponges - No cellulose sponges due to mold issues; remove from wrapper.
- 5 scouring pads - Remove from wrapper; no stainless steel, Brillo pads, or SOS pads (nothing with soap built in).
- 50 clothespins
- Clothesline - One 100-ft. or two 50-ft. lines; cotton or plastic.
- 24-roll heavy-duty trash bags- 33 to 45-gallon sizes; remove from the box.
- 5 dust masks
- 2 pairs kitchen dishwashing gloves - Should be durable enough for multiple uses; remove from packaging.
- 1 pair work gloves - Cotton with leather palm or all leather.
Assembly Directions: Place all liquid items in the bucket first. Place remaining items in the bucket, fitting them around and between the liquid items. Sponges, scouring pads, clothespins, and trash bags can be separated in order to fit all of the items in the bucket. Ensure the lid is closed securely.
- All items must be new except for the actual bucket and lid.
- All cleaning agents must be liquid and in plastic containers. No powders, please.
- If you cannot find the requested size of a liquid item, use a smaller size. Including larger sizes of any item will prevent the lid from sealing.
- If all of the items on the list are not included, please put a label on the bucket indicating what has been omitted.
- Cleaning buckets are only used within the United States. They are not opened to verify the contents unless there is indication that some items have been omitted.
This is the link to view a video on how to pack the cleaning buckets: http://vimeo.com/39782409